Bealin the star of the show as Wexford claim first league win


 Wexford 01-10(13)

Antrim 00-09 (09)

Jonathan Bealin was the star of the show with 0-5 points, as Wexford responded from their heavy defeat at the hands of Leitrim the week previous. This was a very good display by the purple and gold outfit as Antrim threw everything at them. As I said last week that if Antrim re capped their second half display against Derry, I would have expected them to cause an upset but unfortunately luck wasn’t on their side today.

Both teams were very evenly matched in the first period with the scores tied at 0-5 apiece at the short whistle. Wexford were dealt a crucial blow as within five minutes of the re start Glen Maloney was given his marching orders when referee Alan Kissane issued a straight red card.

The crucial score of the game came in the forty-second minute when Michael O’ Regan goaled after good play by Niall Hughes.

As for Antrim Ryan Murry gave a good account for himself with 0-4 points, and no matter how hard they tried Wexford were always that one step ahead of them as they ran out four-point winners.

Antrim Team: Padraig Nugent, Patrick Branagan, Ricky Johnston, Patrick Gallagher, Niall Delargy, Michael Mc Carry, Declan Lynch, Mark Sweeney, Fintan Burke, Kevin Quinn, Stephen Beatty, Patrick Mc Bride, Colum Duffin, Ruairi Mc Cann and Ryan Murray

Scores Ryan Murry (0-4 1f), Patrick Mc Bride (0-1), Patrick Gallagher (0-3), Kevin Quinn (0-1),

Wexford Team Conor Swaine, Michael Furlong, Martin O’ Connor, Conor Carty, Glen Malone, Shane Doyle, Brian Malone, Barry O’ Connor, Niall Hughes, Kevin O’ Grady, Jonathan Bealin, Conor Devitt, Eoghan Nolan, Cathal Devereux and John Tubritt

Scorers Jonathan Bealin (0-5 3f), Cathal Devereux (0-1), Conor Devitt (0-1), Glen Malone (0-1), Kevin O’ Grady (0-1), Ben Brosnan (0-1)

Subs: Daithi Waters for Barry O’ Connor (half time), Ben Brosnan for Cathal Devereux (half time), Michael O’ Regan for John Tubritt (Half time injury)