Kingdom defeat lacklustre Tribesmen


Kerry 1-18 Galway 0-13

Kerry easily brushed aside Galway at Croke Park on Sunday in a performance that at times was below what we expect of Kerry. However, in saying that they still won the game by 8 points, while Galway didn’t take their goal chances when they arose.

Kieran Donaghy started for Kerry and it was his goal on 13 minutes that set the platform for Kerry. The opening 19 minutes were tit for tat. Donaghy’s goal on 13 minutes was all that separated the sides. Shane Walsh, Michael Daly and Ian Burke all pointing for the Tribesmen. However, Kerry pushed on and lead by 1-09 to 0-05, Johnny Buckley, O Donoghue, Moran and Geaney. Galway did respond though as Sean Armstrong registered Galway’s first point in 12 minutes.

It was Galway though that responded. Damien Comer had a goal chance cleared off the line by Fionn Fitzgerald, however  Ian Burke did manage to get a score from that move and he followed that up minutes with another score to reduce the gap even further. Kerry had the final say though in the half with a well taken score from wing forward Donnachadh Walsh.

The first point of the second half didn’t arrive till the 41st minute when Sean Armstrong tapped over a free after Michael Daly was fouled by Peter Crowley. Galway then had a goal chance minutes later as Gareth Bradshaw made a storming run forward before laying the ball off to Armstrong only for him to see his shot well saved by Brian Kelly. It appeared that Kerry were struggling now but Paul Murphy scored a nice point to settle them down, but Eamonn Brannigan kicked a good point over for the Tribesmen. David Moran registered a fisted effort for Kerry only for Armstrong to reply with a score of his own for Galway minutes later. Eamonn Fitzmaurice introduced strong substitutes off the bench in Stephen O’ Brien, Jack Savage and Barry John Keane. It was O’ Brien and Savage that raised white flags before Geaney pointed to give Kerry a 7 point lead, 1-15 to 0-11.

Ian Burke pointed for Galway who were looking a beaten docket now and the game was all but sealed when Barry John Keane and Stephen O’Brien kicked three points between them. In the six minutes of injury time Galway failed to muster any sort of come back. However Johnny Heaney did point to cut the gap to eight late on. However, it was Kerry who book an All-Ireland semi-final later this month. 

Player of the Match : Paul Murphy